Is It Safe To Travel In The US?
As we talk with guests from across the world about our new North America tours, we are often answering the question, “Is it safe to travel in the US?”
We’re keeping a close eye on the COVID-19 situation in the United States, just like all our destinations. With close to six million cases and more than 180,000 deaths reported, there’s no doubt that the US has been hit hard by COVID-19. However, with adaptations, precautions and planning, it can be safe to explore the amazing and diverse landscapes of North America.
In most areas of our lives, we’ve came to terms with the “new normal”. We’ve managed to straddle the fence between risk and safety by wearing non-medical masks in public, enjoying socially distanced activities and shifting dining outdoors. But what about travel? As of Fall 2020, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advice on travel is that “travel increases your chances of getting and spreading COVID-19,” and staying at home is the safest way to protect yourself and others. That said, there are safer options for those of us who wish to roam.
General US Travel Safety
Going by current guidelines, we must exclude most forms of public transport as means of traveling around the US.
Before we can consider some specific types of travel, it’s good to keep in mind some general travel tips from the CDC that will help us narrow down what the safest options are:
- Always try and ensure that you’re at least six feet (two arms’ length) away from other people. Try and stay out of situations that will put you in close proximity to others.
- Always try and minimize the points of contact between you and others, especially considering inanimate objects like door handles, cutlery, etc, that may have been touched by others before you.
- Always try and reduce the number of people you come in contact with, whether co-passengers or in public places.
- Avoid crowded, closed in areas, prefer to spend your time in the outdoors, where there is sufficient room to spread out and maintain interpersonal distance.
- Whenever you leave an area where there is risk of spreading the virus (such as a gas station or a restaurant dining area) wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap, or use a 60% alcohol sanitizer.
Going by these guidelines, we can exclude most forms of public transport as currently safe for travel in the US. That’s why Enchanting Travels has created a number of US road trips for our guests to safely experience the majesty of the American West.
Road Trip USA
Now that states and national parks are opening up again, there are some fantastic destinations to explore in your own backyard.
With just a few exceptions, it’s now incredibly easy to cross state borders by car. The other benefits of driving are:
- For the most part, you’re isolated from other people. As long as you can maintain hygiene and social distancing discipline at fuel, rest, or food stops, you should be fine!
- Because of the vast US interstate highway system, even if you encounter containment zones, border closures, checkposts or viral hotspots, it’s easy to find out about them using AAA’s map-based tracker and route around them.
- With state and national parks opening up, there are plenty of fantastic destinations to visit in the US.
So Is It Safe To Travel In The US?
It is worth speaking to an expert who can plan an itinerary to help you skip the Covid-19 hotspots and go off the beaten path.
The answer is a qualified “yes” – if you can make sure that you follow proper disinfection procedures, and with the right amount of planning and research, you can indeed safely travel across the US. In order to increase your safety, it is worth speaking to a Travel Consultant to plan your trip with trusted partners who can provide itineraries that skip the hot spots and provide experiences off the beaten path.
Some destinations lend themselves to safer travel as well. For example, a camping holiday in Wyoming and South Dakota features just the sort of sprawling outdoors landscape that makes it easy to enjoy sightseeing without crowds. Or explore the incredible red rock formations throughout the southwestern state of Utah, with relaxing stops at our recommended lodge and resort partners. Whatever your destination, the open road beckons!
Talk to one of our USA road trip experts today!
Let’s block ads! (Why?)
, Enchanting Travels reports